Besides brainstorming a list of related terms, there are other factors you should consider
about your topic. These factors are called limits. A few common limits are date, content and
type of article. Using limits can reduce the number of items your search retrieves to the
ones most relevant to your topic. Knowing your limits will save you time when searching.
Limits to consider:
- Does your topic require current information?
- Are you looking for something from a particular year?
- Do you only want information in English or another language?
- Can you read multiple languages?
- Are you looking for journal articles, magazine articles or books?
- Do you want opinion pieces such as editorials or reviews?
- Do you need research studies or statistics?
- Are you willing to find the articles in the library?
- Do you only want articles which can be found online?