WHAT is dual credit?
Dual credit classes are college courses for which a student receives both high school and college credit. Dual credit will be received upon successful completion of college courses with a minimum grade of “C”. A grade of “C” or better is required to receive high school credit. Check with the high school or college counselor for more information about credits. Students can earn dual credit in both academic and/or technical courses.
WHY dual credit?
· Cost savings….students get a jumpstart on their college education, accelerating their time to a college
degree AND a high school diploma.
· Provides an opportunity for students to transition to college while still having additional support at
school and/or home.
· Serves as a “controlled” introduction to college life.
DID YOU KNOW…
· Dual credit courses are offered in a variety of methods in order to meet any learner’s needs:
Face-to-Face --- Online --- Hybrid (a combination of instructional methods where a student completes 50% of the course
online and the other 50% in a face-to-face setting)
· Studies show that dual credit increases the likelihood that a student will complete high school, enroll in
and persist in college.
· Courses that are in the approved core curriculum are fully transferable among all public institutions of
higher education in Texas.
· Students who participate in career and technical classes/programs will graduate high school with career
skills and in many cases, a certification approving them for employment in their industry.